Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Obama's speech to schools: Why has our country become "so polarized that we believe that our president is an enemy and not our leader?"

I really wonder about this. Are there really that many right wing nut jobs, or are they just yelling the loudest? Is this a political thing or a racist thing? WTF???

The speech was not shown at any of the schools in the rural SW Georgia county where I live. A link to the speech was put on the county's school website. That's all. In case you can't tell, that kind of pisses me off. In the next county over it was shown in all the schools. OK, I'll say it. Worth county Georgia school system sucks! I have heard the Superintendent of Schools referred to as "the devil incarnate" by someone who ought to know. Could it possibly boil down to just one person? I'll probably never know.

It's a good speech. Unfortunately it's hard to find the real McCoy amidst all the controversy about nothing. And that's a damn shame. Here it is:


"The Speech"

From CNN article, Obama urges students to work hard, stay in school:

In the past week, news of Obama's speech had upset some parents.

"Thinking about my kids in school having to listen to that just really upsets me," suburban Colorado mother Shanneen Barron told CNN Denver affiliate KMGH last week, before the text of the speech was released.

"I'm an American. They are Americans, and I don't feel that's OK. I feel very scared to be in this country with our leadership right now."

But Amy Veasley, a parent from the Dallas, Texas, area, said Monday that she was surprised by the controversy.

"The president of our country wants to call our students to action. I'm not sure why parents wouldn't want their students to hear out the leader of our country," she said.

A Baltimore, Maryland, teacher who asked not to be identified bemoaned the fact that the country has "become so polarized that we believe that our president is an enemy and not our leader."

During George W. Bush's presidency, she said, "whether I disagreed or not, I still saw him as a leader." iReport.com: Share your thoughts on Obama's speech

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Monday that "it's a sad state of affairs that many in this country politically would rather start an 'Animal House' food fight rather than inspire kids to stay in school."

Shared via AddThis

No comments: